Marrying Abroad

More people get married abroad each year and whether lured by the tropical splendour of a far flung beach or the romance of a European city, they often discover the path down a foreign aisle can require more paperwork than it does here in the UK, which is where Caversham Solicitors can help.

If you are planning to marry or enter into a civil partnership abroad you will find many countries will require you and your partner to swear an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration confirming you are both single and free to marry. For some countries this must be prepared one month or less before your wedding date.

The documentation may vary from country to country so we recommend you liaise closely with your travel agent, the embassy or consulate of the foreign country where you plan to marry.

If you already have an example of the document required by the country then Caversham Solicitors can use this to produce the legal documentation required.

If you already have the documentation required one of our solicitors will be happy to swear the document for you, ensuring it will be recognised in the country you will be travelling to.

Please contact us to arrange an appointment, ask a question or for a guide to costs. You can also email the team at Our telephone number is 0800 085 5575.

Key contacts

View Profile

Latest Insights